Sign in to access your NJCU personalized experience.

Information for:

  • NJCU Student Experience
  • Prospective NJCU Students

Graduate Assistantships

  • A limited number of graduate assistantships are available each year to highly-qualified graduate students. The graduate assistantship covers tuition and fees for full-time study (9-15 credits per semester). Graduate assistants are required to work in a University department or office for 18 hours each week, for which they receive a stipend of $3,500 over the academic year ($1,750 per semester). Graduate assistants may not hold a full-time job either inside or outside the University, and they may not be Graduate assistants during a semester when they are student teaching. Graduate assistants may also apply for Federal Student Loans to assist with costs related to full-time graduate study.  

    For the full year, the initial application deadline for graduate assistantships is April 1; most appointments are made by June 30. For the very limited, spring semester assistantships only, the deadline is December 1. To be eligible, a student must be matriculated in a degree program.   

    Applying for a Graduate Assistantship
    In addition to matriculation requirements, applicants must submit a resume and write a letter to the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, located in Hepburn Hall room 309, (201)200-3003. The letter should discuss the educational goals of your assistantship and full-time degree study, and should include prior work experience, skills, and academic background. If you have already begun graduate studies at NJCU, you should discuss your initial progress. Applicants may apply for a graduate assistantship when they apply for graduate admission and matriculation, but they will not become eligible until their matriculation has been approved by their department.

    The applicant may specify an office or department that would be of particular interest for employment, but this is neither required nor guaranteed. Graduate assistants are assigned by the Office of Vice President of Academic Affairs. A student may be assigned to an office or department unrelated to their area of study.